Course starts on April 2, 2018
The University of Leicester is offering free online course on Discovering Your PhD Potential: Writing a Research Proposal. This course has been created primarily for postgraduate research applicants, but it might also be useful for those who want to learn more about developing well-founded and challenging research bids for purposes other than postgraduate research degrees.
In this course, applicants will learn how to research and write a high-quality research proposal for postgraduate applications.
Length: 5 weeks
Effort: 2 hours/week
Subject: Writing a Research Proposal
Institution: University of Leicester and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on April 2, 2018
The University of Leicester is a leading research led university with a strong tradition of excellence in teaching.
About This Course
A carefully prepared and thorough research proposal is usually crucial for applications for advanced or doctoral study, and can provide the launchpad for the first stages of that postgraduate study.
This online course will give you the awareness, skills and tools to write a well thought-out and achievable research proposal, helping you improve the quality of your postgraduate applications. It will also give you a taste of the self-study required in postgraduate doctoral research.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- Identify why you want to do a PhD and whether your expectations are realistic
- Explore the main requirements, structures and problems with aiming to undertake a PhD
- Demonstrate how to set a realistic, manageable and impactful research question
- Compare deductive and inductive research questions
- Describe and be able to implement the steps required to writing a literature review, including: doing a literature search, planning, organising and writing the literature review
- Discuss what kind of theoretical approach would be useful for your research proposal
- Compare the differences between ontology, epistemology, different research designs and methodology.
- Summarise what you have learned from this course into a first draft of a research proposal
This course has been created primarily for postgraduate research applicants, but it might also be useful for those who want to learn more about developing well-founded and challenging research bids for purposes other than postgraduate research degrees.
Professor Neil Christie works at the School of Archaeology and Ancient History at the University of Leicester, and has long been that department’s PGR Tutor, overseeing all the research students there
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s).