Osteoporosis is the reduction in bone mass and disruption of bone architecture. It is an age-associated disease as bone loss are usually not seen until late adulthood. Nutritionally, it occurs due to poor gastrointestinal calcium/vit D absorption.
– female gender: number of births and space between them.
– Increasing age.
– Poor dietary CA and vit D intake.
– Heavy alcohol / cigarette consumption.
– Long term dietary phosphorus deficiency (overuse of antacids).
Inadequate intake of calcium/ vit D related to poor dietary sources as evidenced by low BMD and DEXA results.
– Optimal diets with recommended levels of cal/vit D.
– Reduced intake of sodium.
– Improve muscle-bone-building activities.
– Avoid mineral binding (cal, vit D, my & phos) medications.
– Treat inflammatory diseases.
*As much as possible, stay active! enjoy sunny mornings! and drink milk! As good nutritional habit is an investment into old age*
Good morning and have a smile filled day.
*Patrick Chimezie Ogbonna, RDN*