Society for Family Health (SFH) is one of the leading non-governmental public health organizations in Nigeria, implementing programmes in Reproductive Health/Family Planning, HIV & AIDS prevention and treatment, malaria prevention and treatment, primary health care system strengthening and maternal, newborn and child health care. We work in partnership with the Federal and State Governments of Nigeria, the Global Fund, United States Agency for International Development (USAID), Department for International Development (DFID), Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, MSD for Mothers and Children Investment Fund Foundation among other international donors. SFH offers professional opportunities for career advancement, a good working environment and competitive remuneration. We seek to recruit qualified persons to fill the under listed vacant positions, in response to our organizational growth.
Position: Medical Laboratory Scientist – OSS
Duration of Contract: Fixed Term Hire (11 months)
Location(s): Abia, Gombe, Kaduna, Kano, Kwara, Plateau, Oyo, Jigawa, Sokoto, and Kebbi States (1 position each)
Job Profile: The functionality and operation of these OSS is dependent on a comprehensive laboratory services which would in turn require trained Medical Laboratory Scientists to manage and provide the necessary quality laboratory services. The Medical Laboratory Scientist would be responsible for conducting all laboratory tests and related services at the OSS in line with good clinical laboratory practice.
Job-role: The successful candidate will perform the following functions:
- Provision of timely and quality laboratory and HIV Testing Services to ensure comprehensive HIV prevention, care, and treatment among Key Populations.
- Maintain a robust Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and timely reporting of laboratory activities to SFH.
- Contribute to the development of lessons learned from projects related to laboratory component of HIV comprehensive services for Key populations.
- Interface with external stakeholders in the state on laboratory matters and support in building a resilient system for sustainable laboratory system strengthening.
- Must possess a Bachelor’s degree in Medical Laboratory Science.
- Must possess a minimum three (3) years post NYSC experience.
- Experience in phlebotomy and sample analysis (e.g. blood, stool, sputum)
- Experience in implementation and administration of the National Integrated Sample Referral Network (NISRN) policies, objectives, and goals.
- Specific experience in HIV/AIDS, TB, or Malaria programs.
- Knowledge of Polymerase Chain Reaction equipment for viral load and Early Infants’ Diagnosis, and GeneXpert machine is desirable
- Knowledge of all basic laboratory techniques and quality control systems
- Knowledgeable in laboratory information management system
- Knowledge of laboratory equipment and techniques on haematology, chemical pathology, serology, and microbiology as it relates to HIV/AIDS and TB program
Skills and Competencies required
- Excellent skills in Good Clinical Laboratory Practice.
- Experience in sample referral and result tracking.
- Ability to cope with stress and to organize and prioritize workload.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (oral and written), presentation skills.
- S/He must be attuned to and be comfortable with the culture/traditions of the people.
- Candidates should be able to communicate proficiently in the dominant language of the region.
- Must have demonstrated proficiency using intermediate-level office software applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel, spreadsheets, and database
- Multitask and work with minimal supervision.
Compensation & Benefits:
The compensation package for these positions is very attractive and designed to attract, motivate and retain talented young professionals.
These vacancies close two weeks from the date of publication.
All applications will be treated in confidence. Interested persons without the minimum requirements need not apply. We thank prospective applicants for their interest in working with SFH, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. SFH is an equal opportunity employer and women are encouraged to apply. Persons resident in the States where the roles are situated are also encouraged to apply accordingly.